Briggs Leon Twyman (2005)

Briggs Leon Twyman was a native of Kansas City, Missouri. While his older brother Jack became a star basketball player at the University of Cincinnati and entered the NBA Hall of Fame, Briggs received both his M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Chicago. He began his teaching career at Colorado Women's College in 1969 and after receiving his Ph.D. in 1972, moved in the next year to the history department of Texas Tech in Lubbock, where he retired as Associate Professor Emeritus in 2003. He died at 66 on May 1, 2005 in Lubbock.

1 comment:

  1. It is five years after Dr. Twyman's death, but I just learned about it today. I was still a Captain in the Marine Corps, running the Marine Reserve Center, adjacent to Tech, when I became a graduate student in the history department and a student of the good professor. He was a good mentor; a savage critic of your work, and yet fully appreciative of the effort you put into the paper. I have warm memories of sitting with a few other students in the professor's den at it home, sipping wine while discussing Roman history. I also remember the several timed that I enrolled in classes of his that I had already taken, to ensure that he had sufficient students for his class to make. I was his first student to earn a graduate degree (MA) under him. The last time I saw Dr. Twyman - the only time after my graduation in 1976 - was in 1997, in his office at the university.
    He was a fine man, an excellent mentor, and a friend. Farewell.

    Charles P. Minor, III
    Hopewell, Virginia

    ReplyDelete